Virtual data rooms were originally developed as a document sharing tool, but over time their functionality has evolved to a multitasking and versatile tool that can be useful for many tasks. Nevertheless, the tandem of virtual data rooms and document distribution remains a major advantage for modern business. Please read our article about how to use it with maximum advantage for your company.
How can virtual data rooms be used for working with documents?
Exchanging documents between employees inside a company and with third parties, such as business partners or clients, is by no means the only way to use a virtual data room. Before you set up a document exchange, you can use data room tools to:
- Create documents from scratch. You can use ready-made templates – created by yourself or provided by the company-provider – as well as create a document on a personal computer and then upload it to the file storage. In this way, you can upload not only single files, but entire file systems.
- Edit documents. Already at the stage of transferring files for storage, you can make changes to them, change their structure or headers, add or delete the necessary information. Such way of handling files is possible in case the initial document contains out-of-date information or was made with mistakes.
- Format documentation. All files which are transferred for storage in the file storage must have a certain digital format provided by the developers. There can be several of them, as long as they are supported by the storage system. Documents can be converted to the necessary format both at the stage of preparation of the documents and directly when they are transferred to the repository.
After all documents have been properly formatted, they can be used not only for the company’s needs, but also transferred for review by third parties authorized to use and review them.
What techniques for distributing documents can be used?
The exchange of documents at the corporate level and at the level of communication with business partners usually takes place using virtual data room tools. Several options are available:
- Sharing by connecting the data room to email is the most traditional method of document sharing, which, when distributed, does not guarantee maximum data security;
- Connecting to corporate data exchange systems – an easy and affordable way to exchange files through direct access to the repository, while respecting all security requirements;
- Providing remote access to registered users – this way of information exchange does not require the use of additional programs and services – the user receives a link, gets authenticated and starts working with the documents.
It is necessary to remember that modern virtual data rooms are not only a method for the organization of the work process, but also the most traditional way to exchange working files without unnecessary delays and procrastination.